Monday, May 18, 2020

Summer Fruit Salad Ideas

One thing that we eat a lot of in our house is fruit salad. It seems a little weird to me that until the last couple of years I didn't know how to make a simple salad. Of course I knew how to follow a recipe to make one, but I never felt quite satisfied with what I made. It felt like there were more other ingredients than there was fruit and when all was said and done, it was no longer a healthy snack.

I usually make the salad with the different types of fruit. You can use whatever combination you'd prefer. I just find that three is usually best for the flavor and texture I like. Most of the time apples are one of those three just because they are an always available, cheap fruit.

Other than that I try to buy whatever is on sale. I also try to keep some canned fruit and raisins on hand for when I need to add some fruit to a salad and I couldn't find any cheap enough at the store, or I just ran out. Pineapple and mandarins work particularly well.

After you have the fruit chopped up and mixed together you can always eat it like that. I usually need to add some other things to make it truly taste like a salad. One thing I learned is that if I add yogurt, or whatever before I am ready to eat the salad, it gets runny and unappetizing within a day. Leaving the fruit mixed alone in a tightly covered container is the best way to keep it fresh for longer. This also allows you to make whatever kind of salad you are feeling like having by serving. It's highly interchangeable.

Some of the things I like to add in:


*Dollop of plain yogurt with a pinch of sugar
* Cool Whip
* Chopped dark chocolate
* Nuts- usually sunflower seeds, or walnuts
* Cereal- like Grapenuts, ect..
* Marshmallows

This is a fruit salad that I made with a couple apples, one orange and some grapes. The prepared bowl has plain yogurt and a square of dark chocolate added.



 I hope this post has given you a few new ideas on how to make your summer salads more enjoyable, and healthier. If you have some fruit salad tips I'd love to read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment