Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Homemade Popcorn

My kids really love popcorn, but I don't love all the stuff that's in microwave popcorn! My solution was to come up with a simple, quick, tasty way to make popcorn from scratch. After I figured out the details I will never pay those high prices for processed microwave popcorn again! It  took a lot of tweaking, and trying all sorts of methods I found on the internet to get it right.

This is what I came up with.

First you have to have a glass type of bowl. Mine in Corell, but you can use Pyrex, too. Plastic will melt, even hard plastics! Once you have a big microwave popcorn safe bowl ready pour in your popcorn kernels. For my bowl about 1/4 of a cup does nicely. Pour some olive oil over the kernels. I use almost enough to cover them, but you can use more or less depending on your taste. Then I liberally salt the kernels.

It should look like this.
Then I get out a plate to cover it with. It's best to leave a tiny bit of space for the steam to escape, but it's not a must.



Then cook it until there are a few seconds between pops. In my microwave it takes about 4 minutes. Leave it in the microwave for a minute or so to be sure it's done. It will be VERY hot when you get it out. Be very careful of the steam when you take the plate off.

Season as you wish. My kids like to sprinkle butter flavor that you can find sold by the popcorn at the store. Sometimes I like to make honey, and nut snack mixes with it. It's such a healthy low cost snack.



No comments:

Post a Comment